Shearwater is calling on creatives from around Australia to enter costumes in the school’s 2019 Wearable Arts performance event, The Girl with the Sun in her Face. Entries must be relevant to one of the five sections outlined on the home page.
Entrants in this year’s event, to be performed in November, will vie for a prize pool of more than $8,000.
The entry form for the 2019 event can be downloaded below.
Entry fee may be paid by credit card over the phone: 02 6684 3223 or by direct deposit to our bank account:
Acct No: 175875
Acct Name: Shearwater, the Mullumbimby Steiner School
Entry forms will only be accepted with full payment. Please use your surname as reference for the payment.
All entrants are required to read and agree to the following Terms & Conditions.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. IMPORTANT DATES
- The closing date for entry forms is Thursday September 26, 2019. Entry forms must be received by Shearwater, the Mullumbimby Steiner School before 4pm on this date. Entry forms lodged after this date will incur a $10 late fee.
- The final date for late entry is Wednesday October 16, 2019. No entry forms will be accepted after 4pm on this date.
- Closing date for costume delivery is 4pm Monday October 21, 2019. Costumes can be delivered to the School between 10am and 12 midday or 2pm and 4pm on this date. Costumes delivered after this date may be accepted, subject to the director’s discretion, but will not qualify for judging - therefore, will not be eligible for a prize.
- Costume judging will take place in the Shearwater School Hall on Thursday October 31, 2019.
- Following the event, costume collection will take place between 1pm and 4pm on Wednesday, November 13, 2019. Collection outside of this time must be pre-arranged by phone and will be by appointment only. Costumes not collected by this date may be disposed of.
- Performances will take place in the Shearwater School Hall on Wednesday November 6 to Saturday November 9, 2019.
2. ENTRY DETAILS
- No entry forms will be accepted without full payment of the entry fee.
- Entries should be addressed to: 2019 Wearable Arts Performance Event, Shearwater, the Mullumbimby Steiner School, 349 Left Bank Road, Mullumbimby NSW 2482, Australia. Please retain proof of posting.
- All packing and transportation costs of entries (including return postage/courier fees) are the sole responsibility of the entrant.
- All entries must have a return address clearly marked and include a return courier/postage fee (unless they will be collected in person).
- Entries must include a sturdy hanger (not plastic or wire) for the garment and a see-through, full length, garment bag.
- Photographs and instructions on how the garment is to be worn and how to put it on must be included, with a full list of the total number of pieces. Each component must be labelled with entrant’s name, garment name and section.
- Your entry will be exhibited in a fully choreographed performance. Shearwater is responsible for the way it chooses to display your entry, including choice of model, music, dance and context.
- Please note that entering a garment does not guarantee inclusion in the event. Selection is at the discretion of the director. If a costume is unsuitable (for example, too revealing to be worn comfortably by a student model), the designer will be notified by phone or email.
3. COSTUME REQUIREMENTS
- Garments must be of sound construction; safe to wear with no sharp edges; not excessively heavy and able to be worn for multiple performances. Headwear must be fitted, well-balanced and able to stay on with movement; garments must not be held together with staples, tape or hot glue and fitting must be suited to quick changes (such as elastic or Velcro).
- No costumes with perishable, living or growing plant or vegetable matter will be accepted.
- Costumes that do not withstand ongoing wear will need to be repaired. It is the responsibility of the designer to make those repairs. Costumes that are not repaired when required will be removed from performances.
- No garment should exceed 2.25 meters in height or 1.25 metres in width. Garments must be able to be worn safely while using ramps to enter and exit the stage.
- The use of advertising, signage or company logos in a design is prohibited.
4. COMPETITION TERMS
- Garments will be judged on originality, creativity, innovation and construction. All eligible entries received by the due date will be considered by the judging panel. Entries will be modelled. Designers’ names will not be disclosed to the judges. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Shearwater will supply all models for judging and performances. Please indicate any preference (such as gender, size or height).
- Shearwater reserves the right to retain all winning entries, for a period of up to 12 months, for use in activities that relate to the promotion of Wearable Arts.
- Whilst Shearwater will take all possible care with entered garments, it accepts no responsibility for loss or damage. It is the responsibility of each entrant to insure their property from the time of dispatch to return.
- Shearwater retains the right to take photographs of garments and to publish these, with acknowledgement, in relevant publications.
- Images of any costume entered intothe 2019 Wearable Arts performance event must not be published prior to the performances (this includes social media). Any such publication will invalidate the entry.
- Shearwater reserves the right to all film, broadcasting, internet and any related rights which it may, at its discretion, elect to use for publicity or any other purpose.